Sunday, December 2, 2012

Truth in the Tinsel

I. Love. December.
When I was growing up one of my favorite thing about the Holidays was adding an "ornament" every day to a large felt advent tree that we had as we counted down the days until Christmas.  I love the idea of counting down, preparing our hearts, making space.

Last year we bought this(yes, I bought it, lots of ideas on pinterest for making one.  I'm just too lazy)


and every day was filled with a different fun activity or a place to serve.  I compiled a list in November and filled each little door with a slip of paper telling the kids what we'd be doing that day.  One day we shopped for toys for needy kids, one day we read a new Christmas book, or delivered meals, or attended a Christmas program, or made cookies...

This year when we pulled out the house, the kids couldn't wait to get started, and yesterday, on December 1st I realized I hadn't done a thing.  I'm a little disorganized this year.

So our first day I decided to use to introduce our "Truth in the Tinsel" advent.  If you haven't heard of this little e-book, it's an awesome way to tell kids about the story of Jesus as you lead up to Christmas.  Each day you read a Bible verse together, make an ornament, and talk about a piece of the Christmas story.  For example, yesterday the ornament was a candle because Jesus came to bring Light to the darkness(Isaiah(9:2-7).  We really wanted to try this last year, but the ornaments, though simple and created for kids, required a lot of supplies that I hadn't collected. Because I'm disorganized. (sensing a theme?).

BUT this year, they added something just for disorganized, barely holding it together moms like me.

 PRINTABLE ORNAMENTS!  So now, my kids color an ornament and we read scripture and talk about it and clothespin it onto some yarn (with clothespins I haven't bought yet. Surprised?)

We're having fun. :) 
Kyler's 'light'

No comments:

Post a Comment